Thursday, November 6, 2008

My favorite Camera Trick

Motion Blur! This looks so cool if you can get the settings right. My boss taught me this a few months back and its now my favorite. I used this technique in the pic below.



I did this by manually setting the exposure to zero (I have a Nikon D60) then followed my subject WITH the camera to keep the subject in frame while I took the pic!
I was pretty proud of myself for this especially because Ive had no previous training and have never taken a photography class!
Go me!


If you want to add a motion blur to an already developed picture, you can do so with photoshop! I did just that in the picture below.

There are many ways to achieve an end result in photoshop. I choose to create a background layer that I can use for my motion blur. Using the WIND tool (its a simple drag and drop from the EFFECTS toolbox) will blur the whole picture and thats when layering comes in handy. So my background is blurred or "winded" if you will, but my top layer is still the same. I then use the eraser tool to carefully erase the part of the top layer I want to be blurred.This will allow the background layer to show through the part of the foreground I erased! Presto! You now have a fake motion blur!

Big thanks to my photo models Shawn and Brittany.
(This was per your request Ash! Hope you enjoy!)

5 comments:

sheree said...

okay so you already know I attempted all of this, lol.

Thanks for the cool new tricks ;)

Anonymous said...

yes i do love! want to get a new camera next month maybe before my sister comes and we travel around....any input?

sheree said...

hey dude...canon makes a really good dslr that is a good price. It's called the Rebel XTi. Look into it. It's probably not practical for everyday pics, but it will take great pics for when you want to spend the time pretending to be a photographer, lol.

Tiffany said...

I agree with Ree. Canon and Nikon would be the way to go for sure. Travelling with a big camera might be kinda sketch BUT you could take some amazing pictures that might be worth the risk.

Both brands make some really great Point and Shoots (the pocket size) too.

Unknown said...

Interesting!! Love to see your favorite camera trick... I too love to play with my new camera which got from Circuit City...